Saturday 26 October 2013

A haYze of Elitism


Lesser known to some, Miguel James is a member of what could be argued as the most important hip-hop collective in Jamaican right now, a group of talents that go by the name Sons of Liberty (SOL). What started out as mere curiousity for most fans developed into a buzz due in part to a strong social media presence as well as notable performances at local events such as #PayAttention. On June 12, 2013 SOL released their superbly crafted and highly anticipated group effort The Escape Theory which added to their already rapidly growing fan baseI got introduced to SOL through a friend who told me about this rapper named The Therapist and that I should check out his mixtape. I followed the friend’s advice and I have to admit I was impressed. More pieces of the puzzle fell into place after hearing a beat tape from SOL producer King Biggs. I eventually became familiar with the remaining members of the group and became a huge fan in the process. Thus began my obsession with SOL.


I like many local fans have been highly anticipating more music from Miguel James after hearing the single “Only Kids Dream” early this year; happily our prayers have been answered. On October 18, 2013 Miguel James released his aptly titled project elite, 11 tracks of banging hip-hop with immense re-listen ability. We sat down with Miguel James to ask him about his solo project and other Miguel James and SOL related info.




First Coast: Who is Miguel James?
Miguel James: Miguel James is a dreamer/schemer. 

First Coast: When did you become a part of Sons of Liberty?
Miguel James: I was there when it started back in '06. I took a small hiatus for personal reasons but that's family so I couldn't stay away for long.

First Coast: You’re Jamaican born and raised?
Miguel James: Yea

First Coast: Your name was haYze originally but you changed it, most rappers choose a name that describes their style or is easily remembered, what made you change your name to Miguel James?
Miguel James:  It wasn't easy because I loved the name haYze ... but eventually I decided that I wanted to use a stage name that had more meaning to me. Something I could identify with more. James is my mother's name and I want her to live vicariously through me and my art.   

First Coast: What has the response to Elite been like so far?
Miguel James:  It's been awesome so far. I've been getting a lot of congratulatory messages and phone calls since it’s been out and a few handshakes and hails when I make the rare journey outside. I'm just so very grateful people listened. 

First Coast: A little birdie told me that you also make beats, how much of this project was produced by you?
Miguel James:  Actually, 'Samson' and 'Only Kids Dream' are the only two songs I produced on this. I stuck to mainly co-producing because the beats Heatwave, Riptide and Biggs gave me were already so good. I only had to add an extra instrument here or take out a particular sound there to make the project more cohesive. 

First Coast: Which one do you love more, production or rhyming?
Miguel James:  Honestly I'm more moved by harmonies and melodies than words so I get more joy from the former. Writing comes naturally to me though so that's much easier to do.

First Coast: Ok enough of these boring “interviewer” questions, let’s get into the real stuff…. Give us some of the history of Miguel James. How and when did you first get exposed to hip-hop?
Miguel James: I first got exposed to hip-hop when I was 10 years old. Could be earlier but my earliest memory is when I was 10 and me and my older brother used to watch Rap City on BET a lot. 

First Coast: At what point did you decide that you wanted to express yourself through hip-hop?
Miguel James: Again, when I was about 10 I stumbled across this burned CD of Nas’ album 'Stillmatic' that was in my brother's room. 'Rule' and 'You're Da Man' changed my life. 

First Coast: What pushed you to take it seriously?
Miguel James: When I realized that being creative is the only thing I'm actually good at [laugh].

First Coast: How would you describe your music?
Miguel James: developing and getting better and I'm just enjoying making music.  

First Coast:  I notice a specific type of word play in your rhymes, where did it come from?
Miguel James: Just years of appreciating and studying music I suppose. 

First Coast: Who were some of your biggest influences coming up?
Miguel James: I narrowed it down to two: Notorious B.I.G and Kanye West.  

First Coast: Now who do you listen to?
Miguel James: I find myself listening to a lot of John Legend lately.  

First Coast: What are you trying to communicate musically with this project?
Miguel James:  I think most of the songs on 'elite' are dark, but different types of dark. I'd like to have a conversation with someone one day asking them what 'elite' communicated to them.

First Coast: Some would describe some of the production as 90’s influenced, what was the thought process behind the beat selection?
Miguel James:  Whatever I felt at the time I just vibed with it and wrote to it. 

First Coast: How long did it take you to put this project together?
Miguel James:  Mentally, it took at least 6 months to flesh out but that's because I get a little obsessive at times. It officially took about 2 months to record and arrange everything though.

First Coast: You get introspective at certain points on the project, was this something you did on purpose?
Miguel James:  Introspection is healthy. It's something I practice a lot outside of music so I feel naturally I explore it in my songs.

First Coast: Many of us felt you were among the local elite before your project dropped, what inspired the name?
Miguel James:  Respect first off, I'm glad you feel that way. Honestly the name 'elite' came to me in a dream a year ago before I knew what it was for but the energy from it was so undeniable I knew I had to use it for something important.

First Coast: I notice that King Biggs, The Rush and Tristan are featured on your project, how important to you is it to feature other members of SOL on your solo material?
Miguel James:  It’s not just about featuring S.O.L members ... I'd feature them all if that were the case [laugh]. Its more about adding the element I feel each song needed to bring across that particular idea more sharply. 

First Coast: I’m still trying to decide between “East Side” and “Black Prince” to see  which  is my favourite track, which track do you feel will get the biggest reaction from the listeners?
Miguel James:  So far it seems like most people really like 'Samson'. I'd like to believe I made a favourite for everyone. 

First Coast: As cliché as it is I have to ask you this, give me your top 5 MC’s and producers dead or alive?
Miguel James:   Top 5 MC's: Biggie, Common, Nas, Jay-Z & Kanye West. Top 5 producers: J Dilla, 9th Wonder, Kanye, No I.D. & The Neptunes

First Coast: What’s next for Miguel James and SOL?
Miguel James:   For Sons of Liberty, we're continuously building on our label's brand so we've got S.O.L. tees on sale plus we've got the website (solmusicgroup.com) up and running ... while on the music side of things we've got a few projects being worked on right now. For me, I'm thinking of getting married maybe have a couple kids and generally bask in this success [laugh] ... I'm playing, definitely just going to spend more time working on my sound and adding more skills to my repertoire, like singing and playing an instrument maybe. 

First Coast: Any last words?
Miguel James:  Give thanks for this interview, had fun answering these questions!










No comments:

Post a Comment